Once again One Brick Detroit is heading back to Gleaners for another fun-filled time! This volunteer event will last until 9am-12pm. Please plan to stay the entire time.
Description: The projects will vary and may consist of the following: packing food boxes, sorting food items/canned goods, pulling agency food orders, de-tagging clothing, mailings, and so much more. (If you would like please feel free to bring a pair of gloves to work in).
Organization: For more than 33 years, Gleaners Community Food Bank has been "nourishing communities by feeding hungry people.” Last year, Gleaners distributed more than 36 million pounds of emergency food to over 484 partner soup kitchens, shelters and pantries in Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Livingston and Monroe counties. Of every dollar donated, Gleaners uses 96 cents for food and food programs. One dollar provides three meals for a hungry neighbor. http://www.gcfb.org
Important information: Per Gleaners: Dress comfortably; jeans, t-shirt and gym shoes. NO OPEN TOE SHOES or CROCS. In the winter please dress warm, in the summer please remember to wear closed toe shoes, no open toe or open back shoes. Shorts are permitted but they must hit the knee, capris are fine, no tank tops, short skirts, or short shorts. Most of the jobs require some bending. Gleaner's will provide water for volunteers. If you would like to bring a snack for your break time please feel free to do so.
*Please look for our sandwich board that reads “Volunteer Entrance,” and enter through the volunteer entrance.
Other information: We will be going out to an early dinner after the event. Please be sure to bring money if you are interested in joining.
SAFETY TOPICS FOR WAREHOUSE VOLUNTEERS:
· Please NO OPEN TOE SHOES or CROCS. No Eating or Drinking in the warehouse a break time will be provided at which time you may enjoy a snack or beverage. Also, no running or smoking in our warehouse.
· No use of cell phones, Ipods or any other electronics while working
· Please Do not remove any food product from our premises. The food and groceries items are allocated to our member agencies feeding our hungry neighbors.
· Please Volunteers do not touch, handle or operate any of our hand trucks, hi-lo or electrical jacks without first checking with a Gleaners staff person.
· Please use caution in walking throughout our warehouse if you see any of our machines coming towards you please step aside and allow them to go thru and then move on with your business.
· We ask that you refrain from wondering our warehouse. Please stay in the assigned work area at all times. Please contact your group leader or Gleaners staff member if you need to leave your work area. No more than two individuals should leave the work area at one time.
· Please note that some of our projects for the day may require lifting. If so, please at the time of lifting bend your knees. If you are unable to perform any lifting due to a disability and/or can’t perform a warehouse project please notify our staff . . . we will address this accordingly and make other arrangements. We do our best to make accommodations for disabled, injured or any other health conditions just make sure the volunteer coordinator for the day is aware of the issues/concerns.
· Please also note that cleaning up is part of your volunteer visit with us . . . we have to make certain that all trash is picked up and recycled items are place in there designated areas. The next group coming in should experience an organized work area for their visit as well.